Dogs need food just like people do, and dog food prices vary greatly. It’s important to ensure you don’t buy cheap dog food with bad ingredients, but knowing what kind of food is best for your pet can be challenging.
Even though we have budgets, we want to provide the best for our pets. However, are these pricey pet foods worthwhile? Which are the finest among the finest?
Let’s examine some of the market’s most expensive dog food recipes.
12 Best Dog Foods for Pet Owners Without a Budget Restriction
If you don’t have any budget constraints, the following selection of the most expensive dog food is worth their higher price tags:
1. Nom Nom Fresh Pet Food
Nom Nom Fresh Pet Food is a company that makes fresh dog food from premium ingredients. The food is subscription-based and comes straight to your door.
You can buy dog food delivered to your door in insulated packages. The food is pre-portioned, so you don’t have to worry about it. You can give your pup the best food for between $5 and $6.50 daily.
- Unlike most commercial dog food, Nom Nom is prepared from fresh ingredients.
- The recipe contains a range of high-quality ingredients and is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Each item is tailored to your dog based on the questionnaire results you must complete.
- This choice is one of the most expensive on our list.
- A percentage of subscription-based dog food may not be suitable for pet owners constantly on the move.
2.ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Food
ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Food is a New Zealand-made brand of air-dried dog food. This recipe is packed with protein, which helps your dog stay healthy and strong. It also contains a lot of fat and fiber, which are important for your pup’s diet.
For a low price of $4.59 per day, you can get food that is packed with delicious ingredients and has its nutrition locked in through the gentle air-drying process.
- All of the meat included in ZiwiPeak’s recipes comes from sustainable, free-range ranches.
- This food contains no maize, wheat, or soy and no artificial ingredients.
- Some pet owners stated that this food had an extremely pungent odor.
3. Canidae GRAIN-FREE ANCIENT MEAT Formula
Protein is abundant in Canidae Grain-Free Pure Ancestral dog food. The food has seven different meat sources that are all sourced regionally.
You can get food that is made up of mostly meat for $1.50 per day. The food will have a protein content of 28%, 13.5% fat, and 5% fiber.
This is a great protein-rich option for pet owners who are not afraid to spend money on their pet’s food. Most dogs love it.
- For added flavor, each kibble contains a freeze-dried coating.
- This formula contains several vitamin and mineral supplements and five distinct probiotic strains to help digestion.
- This is a grain-free food that some vets don’t recommend because of the link between grain-free diets and heart disease.
4. Recipe for Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Grain-Free Great Plains Red
Merrick’s Backcountry Raw Infused doesn’t have grains or poultry, making it a good choice for dogs with allergies. This food comprises 38% protein, 17% fat, and 3.5% fiber.
For $2.19 per day, you can buy a good quality kibble made in the USA with real beef as the first ingredient. This food also contains several other premium animal proteins.
The kibble also includes real, freeze-dried meat pieces.
- The recipe is rich in omega-3 fatty acids to nourish the skin and coat of your dog.
- Sweet potatoes, potatoes, and peas are sources of digestible carbohydrates.
- This snack contains vitamins, minerals, and four distinct probiotic strains.
- Some pet owners reported that the raw chunks promised were insufficient.
5. ORIJEN Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Orijen Original dog food has a great list of ingredients. 85% of the ingredients are protein sources. The first five ingredients are fresh or raw animal sources rich in nutrients.
You can get a recipe full of healthy ingredients like lentils, beans, peas, and chickpeas for a small price. These ingredients are easy to digest and great for your health.
- Three probiotic strains are included in the formula to help digestion.
- This grain-free dish contains a variety of fruits and vegetables that provide your pet with an abundance of vitamins and minerals.
- Some pet owners said their dogs had difficulty digesting this food.
6. The Farmer’s Dog Fresh Pet Food
The Farmer’s Dog Fresh Pet Food company makes fresh food delivered to your door. They have simple recipes guided by science and use advice from top veterinary nutritionists.
This dog food is fresh and healthy. It has one type of protein and a lot of fruit and vegetables, which are good for your pup.
- Also available in pork and sweet potato and turkey and parsnip recipes. The brand uses your dog’s profile to create food that has been specially balanced for your dog.
- This food is fully packaged in eco-friendly materials.
- The bags provided for the food are not resealable, so the food can only be stored in a container in the fridge for a day or two.
7. Lotus Oven-Baked Lamb & Turkey Liver Recipe
The Lotus Oven-Baked Lamb & Turkey Liver Recipe is a holistic dog food with 23% protein, 14% fat, and 6.5% fiber.
This baked pet food is made with high-quality ingredients, like a lamb which is the main ingredient in this recipe. For $3.21 per day, this food will give your dog a natural flavor they will love.
- The ingredients’ nutritious content is kept by a mild baking technique.
- The recipe’s abundance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids maintains a healthy immune system, skin, and coat.
- Some dogs on this diet had gastrointestinal distress.
8. EVO Red Meat Dog Food
78% of EVO Red Meat Dog Food is composed of meat, including beef, lamb, hog, and venison. The other 22% of the food consists of fruits and vegetables.
This grain-free dog food contains about one-third of a pound of animal protein per serving. The recipe is designed to provide the nutrients your dog needs, like those found in raw food diets, but in a convenient dry kibble form.
- This dish contains no grains, gluten, or starchy carbohydrates.
- This dish’s components come from local human-grade suppliers and wild sources.
- This food is difficult to locate both online and in-store.
9. Annamaet Grain-Free Manitok Red Meat Formula
The ingredients in Annamaet Grain-Free Manitok Red Meat Formula are high-quality proteins and nutritious grains.
The formula for this dog food is 30% protein, 16% fat, and 3.5% fiber. It comes from a family-owned and operated business in the USA. For $2.40 per day, you can give your dog high-quality and nutritious food.
- This recipe contains vital fatty acids for your dog’s coat and immune system.
- Chelated minerals are incorporated to facilitate optimum absorption of nutrients.
- The recipe excludes low-quality corn, wheat, soy, fillers, and by-products.
- Some pet owners stated that this meal had a fishy odor.
10. Ollie Fresh Pet Food
Ollie Fresh Pet Food is a new company that delivers fresh, human-grade dog food to your door. Each recipe is based on your pup’s individual profile, so you can ensure they’re getting the right nutrients for their needs.
- The recipes have been developed in collaboration with veterinary professionals to ensure that your pet receives optimal nutrition.
- This dog food is formulated with fewer ingredients to accommodate dogs with food allergies and intolerances.
- Fish oil is used for its fatty acid advantages. The recipe also contains a substantial amount of vitamins and minerals.
- This meal must be refrigerated or frozen and consumed within a few days.
11. Nulo Freestyle Lamb & Chickpea Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
The first three components in the premium, grain-free Nulo Freestyle Dry Dog Food are salmon, turkey meal, and lamb. The food has a protein content of 31%, a fat content of 17%, and fiber of 4.5%.
You can have healthy, high-quality food made in the USA for just $1.46 per day.
- The formulation is developed without extraneous additives for dogs with sensitivity.
- Some fruits and vegetables, like sweet potatoes, blueberries, apples, tomatoes, carrots, and chickpeas, are good for your pet because they have a lot of vitamins and minerals.
- Due to the relatively small size of Nulo’s kibble, large breeds may be unable to consume enough of this dog food.
12. Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Dog Food
The Earthborn Holistics Primitive Natural kibble is eco-friendly and made in the USA. It has a protein content of 32%, a fat content of 18%, and a fiber content of 3.5%. The recipe is grain and gluten-free, and the kibble is made with three different types of meat meals.
For a small price of $1.09 per day, you can provide your pet with great nutrition and know that you are supporting a business that follows environmentally friendly practices.
- The dish includes antioxidant-rich blueberries, carrots, spinach, apples, and cranberries, among other fruits and vegetables.
- Three distinct probiotics are provided to improve your dog’s intestinal health.
- This recipe does not have whole proteins but includes three meat meals and dried eggs.
Is Expensive Dog Food Superior to Cheap Dog Food?
Not all expensive dog food is better than cheaper food. You must be cautious of the marketing ploy. Some companies price their products at a higher amount to make it look like they’re selling a good quality product.
This makes people think that the product is better. That said, high-quality dog foods made with good ingredients will be more expensive than cheap, budget pet foods.
The list above will help you distinguish between expensive dog foods worth the money and imposters that have just used clever marketing tricks.
Some dogs, for example, those with health problems or who are pregnant, need a specific type of food that is more expensive than other dog foods.
What Do You Receive When You Pay More for Dog Food?
Expensive dog food brands often have a higher protein content than other dog foods. You can expect this to be true for the following reasons:
1. Real Meat
Rather than meat meals, high-quality dog diets are often manufactured from real meat sources, such as chicken or beef.
Meat meals that have been properly identified still provide your dog with good nutrition. However, foods that list whole protein as the first ingredient are always of better quality.
2. Better Grains
Wheat and corn are frequently used to bulk up dog food without adding nutritional value.
Numerous premium dog foods contain whole brown rice or oats. Some premium brands are grain-free, opting for highly digestible carbohydrates like sweet potato.
3. Higher Quality Ingredients
Higher-quality dog foods have better ingredients than lower-quality ones. This comprises a variety of fruits and vegetables high in antioxidants and premium flavors such as cheese.
Some ingredients in premium dog foods, like fish oil and salmon oil, have high levels of omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
These fatty acids help keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy. They also help boost the immune system.
4. Helpful Supplements
More expensive dog foods usually have a lot of supplements to help support your pet’s overall health.
You can give your dog some things to help protect their joints and improve their mobility. This includes Glucosamine and Chondroitin, chemicals that help keep joints healthy, and Probiotics, which are bacteria that are good for your dog’s digestion.
5. Fewer Additivities
Chemical additives, like artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, can make your pet sick. Expensive dog foods typically have fewer of these unnecessary additives.
What Should You Look for in Expensive Dog Food?
When picking food for your pet, it is important to find a formula that suits your specific dog’s needs. You should also consult with your vet when making these decisions.
Of course, not all dog foods are created equal, so there are certain factors to consider while selecting the right food for your dog. This includes:
1. Whole proteins: The main ingredient in your dog’s food should be whole protein. This is a good sign that the food is premium. Whole proteins are also often tastier, which is important for picky eaters.
2. Whole grains: Many vets recommend including grains in your dog’s diet. Grains are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They have not been processed or refined, making them a high-quality source of these nutrients.
3. Choose a dog food that does not contain artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives if you want to provide the optimum nutrition for your pet. The recipes of premium dog diets include natural preservatives to extend the shelf life of the food. This indicates that the food will taste better and last longer than alternatives.
4. Dog food manufactured in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, New Zealand, and Australia must meet stringent nutritional guidelines.
Do Expensive Dog Foods Have More Protein?
Yes, most premium dog foods have extra protein. This is because protein is typically the most expensive ingredient in your dog’s food.
Your dog needs protein to build strong muscles. Dogs that eat food with a higher protein content will be healthier and have more muscle mass.
The cost of your dog’s food can be influenced by the type of protein used. The cheapest protein is chicken, a common allergen in pets.
There are many types of protein. Mid-priced proteins include turkey, pork, and beef. High-end options include salmon, duck, and seafood.
Some of the most expensive protein options are dog food for those with allergies. These include rabbits, deer, bison, kangaroos, emus, and quails.
So Which of our Most Expensive Dog Foods Will You Choose?
Some premium dog food brands provide the best nutrients available for your pet. The price may not be a factor for you, but it is important to consider what is best for your pet.
That said, there are other factors to consider when picking premium food for your dog.
You don’t want to spend money on marketing gimmicks. You should buy food full of protein and high-quality ingredients that support your dog’s health.
Read more: How to Buy the Best Dog Food for Your Dog
Frequently Asked Questions About Expensive Dog Food
What Is a Premium Dog Food?
Premium dog foods have no artificial flavors, growth hormones, antibiotics, fillers, synthetic colors, or preservatives. They also often contain ingredients that can help boost your pet’s health.
Which Dog Breed Is Most Expensive?
The Tibetan Mastiff is a large dog. If the price of a dog were based on its weight, the Tibetan Mastiff would be one of the most expensive dogs. For example, a Red Tibetan Mastiff named Big Splash was sold for $1.5 million.
Are Expensive Dog Foods Really Better?
It is important to look at what makes a portion of food expensive. If a portion of food is expensive because it has fancy packaging or includes something that isn’t good for dogs, it might not be worth the price. But if the food contains natural ingredients and vitamins that are good for dogs, it is likely worth it to be one of the most expensive dog food.
Is Dehydrated Dog Food Better Than Dry?
Dehydrated food is healthier for your pet than kibble food. Concerning removing moisture from dehydrated foods, the taste, texture, and nutrients in the food often change. Some minerals as well as vitamins break down during the process of dehydration and contribute to lesser nutrient levels.