The Best Dog Shampoo For Hair Loss
The Best Dog Shampoo For Hair Loss
Dogs naturally shed their hair, but if they shed too much, this could cause concern. We as owners need to be aware of this and note if our pet is losing hair in patches. If that is the case, a veterinarian should examine our pet to rule out anything more severe than just natural shedding.
Best Rated Dog Shampoos For Hair Loss Reviewed
Dogs will lose hair as they age, just like humans do. This isn’t just typical shedding but actual hair loss.
We should not just ignore this as a normal thing. We should do what we can to prevent it from happening again.
Everyone fears losing their hair, whether their own or a loved one’s. As a result, the following selection of hair loss prevention products warrants your full attention.
1. TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
If you’re looking for a good puppy shampoo, TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo is a great option. It contains Vitamin C to help keep your dog’s skin healthy and strong.
This product contains natural oils that help to treat mange wounds and kill the mites altogether. It also relieves the itchiness that dogs feel and treats infected areas. Plus, it uses a blend of therapeutic grade oils to help with mange.
2. HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids for Dogs & Cats
Therapeutic Shampoo Dogs & Puppies is a shampoo that helps to treat destroyed hair follicles and sensitive skin.
This product contains natural oils, plant extracts, and antifungal properties. The antibacterial material also deeply penetrates any blemishes.
3. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo
The Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo is a vet-tested shampoo that contains concentrated Chlorhexidine Gluconate with antimicrobial herb extracts.
South Korean vets developed shampoo in a university. The shampoo helps soothe the skin while preventing the dog from scratching it.
4. Zesty Paws Dog Shampoo with Oatmeal & Aloe Vera
Zesty Paws Dog Shampoo with Oatmeal & Aloe Vera is specially formulated to help your dog. The shampoo’s ingredients are designed to benefit the skin and coat of your dog.
The shampoo is meant to promote skin health in pets and keep their fur shiny. It is also supposed to relieve any itchiness the pet may have and eliminate any bad smells.
5. Rx 4 Pet Cat And Dog Shampoo
Rx 4 Pet Cat and Dog Shampoo is an excellent shampoo to use for your pet. It’s recommended by vets all over; people know it helps with dry and itchy skin. The shampoo is so good that it works for cats and dogs and helps eliminate dog dander.
Vets recommend shampoo since it’s safe for all dogs and can aid hair loss.
Causes Of Dog Hair Loss
A variety of factors cause dog hair loss. Take a closer look at what’s happening to your pet’s hair before you assume it’s normal. If you’re concerned about hair loss, there are a few things to remember.
Stress is a common problem that many things can cause. Stress can have many harmful effects on people, from physical to mental problems.
- Trauma – Dogs that go through a traumatic experience can lose their hair quickly. This often happens when the dog licks their fur too much. This can damage the hair follicles.
- Post-clipping alopecia – Some dogs experience minor post-traumatic stress disorder after clipping. This usually means the dog will not grow hair back as quickly as usual. It is important to remember that this does not mean the dog will never grow hair again – it is just a result of the stress they experienced.
- Pressure sores – This is mainly seen in older or heavier dogs, but it is essential when their body frequently hits hard surfaces through slippage. The skin may harden, and the hair may become damaged or fall out.
This may be similar to how people get allergies. A dog’s infection makes the hair follicles weaker and causes a lot of hair to fall out.
- Allergies – If your dog eats something it’s not supposed to, it might get an allergic reaction. This can cause the dog to lose hair. Not just from eating something bad, but also from using a shampoo or brush that isn’t good for them.
- Mange – This is when your dog has fleas, mites, or other parasites on its body. These pests make your dog’s skin itchy and cause it to lose hair.
- Hives – Dogs bit by a plant or insect may get a rash or hives. This can cause them to lose their hair.
A few things in your dog’s body may affect their hair loss.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Hair loss might result from a hormonal imbalance caused by a dog’s thyroid or adrenal glands not functioning correctly. One of the common conditions that dogs experience when overproducing the hormone cortisol is Cushing’s disease.
- Genetics – Dogs can lose their hair for different reasons. Some dogs, like Dachshunds, Greyhounds, and Chihuahuas, are more likely to lose their hair on certain body parts. For example, some dogs might lose hair on their outer ears, chest, thighs, or neck.
Severe Cases Of Bald Spots
Many factors can contribute to a dog’s hair loss. This is a partial list of the most frequent causes. Seek emergency veterinary attention if your dog exhibits any of the following symptoms. The dog may have additional concerns that require greater attention.
- Behavioral changes – If your dog is walking around differently than it usually does, panting heavily, or seeming uncoordinated, it might be sick.
- A strange odor – Your dog smells a bit differently than usual, and there is a strange odor coming from it.
- Constant itching – If your dog is scratching parts of its body, this might lead to more hair loss.
- Infected skin – The problem may be severe if your dog has bald spots that look infected or very red.
If you notice anything happening with your pet, it could be a sign that something is wrong, and you should take your pet to the vet.
Ways To Treat Hair Loss
There are things we can do to help our dog lose hair. We can check with the vet and also do the following:
- Change their diet – One of the most common reasons a dog may lose hair is that they are not eating the right food. If it is not a very serious problem, then a minor form of an allergy, like wheat, corn, soy, or the wrong kind of beef or chicken, can cause problems. So we must feed them the right food so their hair will grow back.
- Provide hormonal supplements – One of the main causes of hair loss in dogs is hormonal imbalance. Giving your dog a vitamin to regulate hormone levels can help to prevent this. This will aid in the regrowth of their hair.
- Apply the right shampoo – There are different shampoos for dogs with different purposes. When shampooing your dog’s coat, choosing the right product for the job is essential.
Best Anti-Shedding Dog Shampoos
Dogs like to dig, run through bushes and pick up ticks. They also get very dirty after it rains. It means you will need to give them frequent baths.
Bathing your dog can help control its shedding and odor. However, many shampoos can harm and make your dog’s skin dry. Finding a good shampoo for your pet that won’t cause these problems can be challenging.
7 Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding
1. FURminator DeShedding Premium Dog Shampoo
This shampoo is suitable for pets because it has no ingredients to irritate or dry their skin. It also has no parabens or dyes, which could cause an allergic reaction. Plus, this shampoo contains omega fatty acids, which can help soften and strengthen the hair and nourish the skin. It will lessen the amount of fur that lands on your furniture and falls out.
2. Nature’s Miracle Supreme Shed Control Shampoo
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Shed Control Shampoo is a good choice for the money if you are looking for a dog shampoo that helps control shedding. The shampoo uses plant-derived surfactants, which are safe and healthy. Omega fatty acids also support healthy hair and skin by calming the skin.
3. Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea Shampoo
The Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea Shampoo is our best choice for shampoo to reduce dog shedding. It is pH balanced, so it will not irritate your pet’s skin, and omega fats help soothe the skin and strengthen the coat. This shampoo is also biodegradable, which means it is safe for the environment.
The product reduced shedding and doggie odor well. The only thing we didn’t like about it was its high cost and that it didn’t smell as good as some other brands.
4. Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs
Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs contains omega fats to help strengthen the coat. It also includes flaxseed and grapeseed oil, which will help soothe the skin and add a protective layer that locks in moisture. Vitamins A, D, and E will help keep the skin healthy.
5. Oster Oatmeal Essentials Dog Shampoo
The Oster Oatmeal Essentials Dog Shampoo uses oatmeal to help soothe the skin. People have been using oatmeal to reduce the effects of eczema and other skin problems for a long time. The shampoo also contains other nutrients, like Vitamin B5, that keep the skin soft and smelling nice.
6. Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Pet Shampoo
Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Pet Shampoo has a comprehensive anti-itch formula that includes oatmeal. The shampoo also contains Vitamins A, D, and E to help keep your pet’s skin hydrated. Most ingredients are plant-based, so they shouldn’t irritate your pet’s eyes. The shampoo leaves your pet’s fur soft and smelling fresh. It has a scent that reminds us of vanilla cake batter.
Pet Oatmeal is a bit more expensive than other brands, and the smell might not be for everyone. At first, the scent is potent and doesn’t smell like most others, so it takes some time to adjust to the difference.
7. Bodhi Dog New Waterless Dog Shampoo
Bodhi Dog New Waterless Dog Shampoo is an easy-to-use shampoo in which you don’t have to put your pet in water. It doesn’t have any detergent or alcohol, and it doesn’t have any parabens or harmful dyes. It also smells nice with a lavender scent. You must spray it on and let it sit for an hour before rubbing your pet with a towel. Once the coat dries, you can brush it to make it look shiny again. No animals were harmed in the ingredients’ local or ethical sourcing.
Dogs lose their hair just like humans do. But you can help reduce hair loss by feeding them the right food and grooming them properly. If that doesn’t work, see a vet find out what else might be causing the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Shampoo For Hair Loss
Using apple cider vinegar helps strengthen the body’s defenses against germs and fungi. For dogs losing hair, diluted apple cider vinegar can be applied directly to the affected area.
Bathing a well-cared-for dog with a short, smooth coat and no skin issues is generally unnecessary. It is more common for dog baths to benefit their owners than dogs. While it isn’t necessary to bathe your puppy every two to three months, it is an excellent idea.
Visit the veterinarian if your dog is losing more hair than usual, showing signs of bald spots, or if you simply want to be sure nothing is wrong. No one other than a veterinarian can ascertain the exact reason for a dog’s excessive shedding.
Hair loss, skin ulcers, thickening, and cracking on joints and foot pads are all signs of a zinc deficiency that should be addressed immediately. A balanced diet can alleviate skin-related symptoms of mineral deficiency.
Some senior dogs lose their hair because of illness. It can be because of things like infections of the hair follicle, mange mites, ringworm, and other fungal infections.
Depending on the dog breed, new hair growth can be seen within one week or two after the hair has been cut. New hair can, however, take up to a year to grow in some circumstances.
Fur loss in a dog is called alopecia. It often happens because of an allergy. The allergy can be from food, the environment, or parasites. The loss of fur can occur anywhere on the body at any time during your dog’s life.