If you’ve ever had a puppy Labrador Retriever, you know they’ll eat anything. But what is the best food to feed your Lab puppy to grow strong and healthy?
Your decisions about your Labrador puppyishly on in its life are essential. The food you put into the bowl will help build strong bones, muscles, and brain matter. It will turn your puppy into a healthy and active dog that your family can enjoy for years.
Labrador puppies are known for being lively and loving. They love to play and explore. They also love food! Make sure you give your puppy plenty of exercise and time outside to play.
Lab puppies need to eat the best food for two meals daily to have enough energy to do all these things. There should be one meal in the morning and one in the evening. If you leave dry dog food out all day for puppies to graze on, they will eat it all and then come back to ask for more.
From the beginning, it is essential to have good feeding habits for your new Labrador puppy. It means you will need to be disciplined and not give in to the puppy puppies when it begs for food. It would help if you also ensured that the puppy does not get used to begging for food from you or other family members.
Five Foods To Fuel Your Lab Puppy
Many dog foods on the market promise to give your Labrador or any large breed puppy what it needs. They list ingredients like pure proteins and natural grains. But not all of them are good for your puppy. Let’s taLet’sclose look at five dog foods to see what benefits they offer for large breed puppies, like your Labrador:
1. Wellness Grain-Free Lamb & Salmon Recipe Soft Puppy Bites Dog Treats
These all-natural, tasty, bite-sized dog treats will get your Lab’s atLab’son when trying to train them. The scent is mouth-watering and sure to keep their sweet puppy eyes on you when you need to distract them.
This Wellness Core product has pure meat protein. It includes fruits and vegetables to give your Labrador puppy the nutrients it needs to be strong and healthy. These treats are specially designed for puppies under one year old so that the ingredients support their growth during those important early months.
These dog foods are made with high-quality ingredients that don’t have low-quality meat by-products or fillers, like corn, wheat, or dairy products. They also don’t haven’t unnecessary artificial colors or flavors.
These treats are the perfect size for your dog to have every day. They are also small enough to fit in your pocket when walking your dog or waiting for the right moment to try that new trick! You can also get these treats in an additional flavor of chicken and carrot, which your dog will love.
Labradors love water, so keeping their coat looks good is essential. These treats help with that by providing natural sources of DHA and Omega-3 oils. It supports your LabradorLabrador’s coat, brain, and eye development.
- Nothing but all-natural, quality ingredients are used in this product.
- Handy, bite-sized servings make it simple to grab one during an impromptu training session.
- They provide an attractive aroma as a soft treat, keeping your Lab puppy focused on you at all times.
- This snack is well-rounded because of the additional vegetable-based nutrients.
- Designed for large breed puppies, such as Labrador retrievers, throughout their critical first year of life, when they gain the most in height and volume.
- There would be no unnecessary clogging of their system by low-quality meat by-products or fillers.
- Allergies to corn, wheat, and dairy products are avoided.
- One bag of treats fits easily in a pocket while walking or to puppy class.
- It is also available in chicken and carrot flavors for various salmon oils that contain DHA and Omega-3 fats for optimal brain development.
- Fish oils also help the undercoats when they go swimming.
- It’s difficult to cut into smaller pieces, which you should do to spread because they’re more expensive than other snacks.
- Chemicals have been introduced to the smoke-flavored versions.
- Complex parts inside may make you nervous about giving them to puppies.
- The scent from delicate pieces leaves a smell on your hands.
2. Grain-Free Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food
The first ingredient in this dog food is real buffalo meat. It means that the food has a high amount of lean nutrition, which is helpful for Labradors and other large breed puppies. The food also contains other animal proteins, such as bison, roasted venison, and beef.
The Grain-free, natural dog food contains vitamins and antioxidants from raw fruits and vegetables. This combination helps dogs. Furthermore, the natural fish oils in this diet protect your Lab from the cold in the winter and the chill of lake water all year.
This dog chow is prepared with ingredients sourced from reliable and sustainable sources. It doesn’t have grain, corn, wheat, artificial flavors, or other additives. That means it is perfect for Lab puppies with sensitive skin or tummies. That way, you won’t clean up as many messes in your house.
This dog food is based on a recipe rich in nutrients and easy to digest. It also includes a probiotic blend that helps support your LabradorLabrador’sve health.
This brand of dog food is made in the USA by a family-owned company. They use the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols to ensure your Labrador is safe.
- Made with the primary goal of providing protein, starting with buffalo flesh.
- The following ingredients on the food label are additional meats: bison, venison, and beef; among them.
- With such a high protein ratio in this puppy food, it develops strong bones, ligaments, and tendons in fast-growing Labrador puppies.
- The natural recipe is grain-free
- Adding vitamins from natural vegetables and fruits aims to make it the greatest dog food.
- Additional antioxidants in the meal protect pups and organs against inflammation.
- The undercoat of your Labrador will thrive and keep him warm with a double dose of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in this meal.
- These oils support other functions, such as a healthy brain and eyes.
- Grain, corn, wheat, and other fillers that could cause indigestion or allergies are absent.
- There are no unnecessary artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- The probiotic blend includes K9 strains to help promote digestive health.
- Made in America by a family-owned enterprise.
- Follows the most advanced scientific food safety protocol available.
- This food has more carbohydrates than other dog foods on the market.
- Contain ocean fish meal as its seventeenth listed component, without mentioning the fish species, which raises issues.
- It includes chicken meal, which is a common allergy.
- Small amounts of beef and venison detract from their contributions.
- The parent business has recalled several other brands of dog food.
3. American Journey Lamb
This brand of dog food is perfect for your growing puppy. It has everything your pup needs to explore the world and its wonders. The main ingredient is deboned lamb, which is rich in protein and amino acids that help keep your large breed puppy lean.
This puppy food is made to meet the specific nutritional requirements of a puppy, and it has a flavor that will make her happy when you fill her bowl with food.
Sweet potatoes and chickpeas give your puppy energy that lasts from the early morning to late night. It will help them stay awake during playtime and keep their energy up.
This dog food recipe does not have grain, corn, wheat, or soy. It also means there are no fillers. That is good news because it means fewer messy poops to clean up.
The food you give your dog has many benefits. It contains nutritious fruits and vegetables like blueberries, carrots, and dried kelp. These ingredients provide your dog with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants for immune system support, and phytonutrients. As a result, your dog gets fiber to keep food moving efficiently through its digestive system.
This product contains salmon as well as flaxseed. It is rich in omega-3 as well as six essential fatty acids. Acids are beneficial to the brains and eyes of dogs. They will make your dog stronger.
- Natural, deboned lamb in this food provides a powerful hit of pure protein to help lanky pups gain weight.
- For long, steam-blowing runs, the meat promotes the best growth of lean muscular tissue.
- Specifically designed for a puppy’s requirements while they learn and grow in their new home.
- Delicious flavor that keeps them returning for more
- Sweet potatoes and chickpeas were added for a distinctive flavor and extra nutrients.
- High-energy dogs are fueled for unending play sessions that are as enjoyable for you as they are.
- It is free of maize, wheat, and soy to avoid stomach upset or allergies.
- There are no fillers, so you only pay for high-quality meals.
- Fruits and vegetables like kelp, carrots, and blueberries provide additional vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
- Their antioxidants benefit your pet’s immune system as well.
- This food’s salmon oil and flaxseed provide the highest levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fats.
- Oils containing long-chain DHA promote a healthy coat, eyes, and brain.
- The second ingredient is chicken meal, which may be deceiving to dog owners who have an allergic dog.
- The seventh and eighth ingredients, dried simple beet pulp and pea protein, may be fillers.
- It contains low levels of omega-3 and omega-6 oils.
- It has more carbs than some other brands.
4. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Large Breed Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food with Probiotics
Your puppy is small and portable right now, but that won’t help the transition to a big, strong dog go more smoothly by feeding him chicken and rice. These foods are gentle on your puppy and will help him stay healthy for a long time.
This dry dog food is for larger furry friends who will weigh more than 50 pounds by early adulthood. This food provides all the necessary ingredients as your dog grows from when he first comes home until he is two years old.
This puppy food for Labs starts with chicken as the main ingredient. It provides your dog with the protein they need. Two doses of this food daily will give your Lab puppy all the essential nutrients they require to grow healthy and strong. The high protein content of this food means that you do not have to supplement your dog’s other vitamins.
Adding compounds from omega-rich cold-water fish oils helps support your puppy as it develops its sight and brain. It can help with training and learning as a puppy discovers new adventures while exploring the trails with you and your family.
This puppy food has probiotics to help his stomach and immune system. It will help him when he eats things from the yard.
- Chicken and rice is a tried-and-true formula for puppy chow that has been used for decades to nourish countless pets.
- These two important elements in our puppy food are soothing to the digestive system of your Lab puppy.
- Designed for giant breed puppies that will mature into cherished companions weighing more than 50 pounds
- It promotes the healthy growth of bones to support that lovable mass of muscle, hair, and drool.
- Provides necessary nutrients to support each growth stage throughout the first two years of life.
- There is no need to switch dog food as your puppy matures.
- Protein-rich recipe
- Live probiotics promote intestinal health and protection against illnesses that can severely affect puppies.
- The established brand has led the business for decades (in human years!).
- Simple to measure and store with no mess
- This dog food contains small amounts of glycerin, a natural sweetener.
- It contains traces of soybean oil instead of omega-3 omega-6 and can lead to allergies.
- Has garlic oil, which has been linked to canine anemia since it attacks red blood cells at a subclinical level
5. Tylee’s Tylee’srade Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
These treats are made from chicken breast. People usually eat chicken breast, so that these treats will be good for your dog. The ingredients are simple: the chicken has been thinly sliced and dried to create a delicious and irresistible treat.
This dog food is made by dehydration. That means that the food is not exposed to chemical additives. You know what your dog is eating because there are no second guesses about additives.
You will have the best portable protein to reward your dog. You can break it into smaller pieces to share at the dog park, or you have more to encourage your large breed dog to obey you.
This high-protein snack has 76% protein and vital amino acids. You can give it to your pet project every time to ensure they have the energy they need. It also has all the flavor they crave.
These snacks are perfect when your dog does something you want them to, like sit or come. They have a rich, meaty flavor and a challenging texture that will keep your dog busy and help them burn off some energy. That means your shoes will be safe from their teeth for another day!
- Made from 100 percent chicken breast, making for a short ingredient list
- The quality of meat is equal to that served to your pet’s hupet’sompanions
- Full of meaty, mouth-watering flavor, which can distract your Lab when you need some ‘me’ time
- Chewy and irresistible to Labs who love to keep their mouths busy
- Meat is thinly sliced and then dehydrated in a pure and straightforward process.
- Free of chemical preservatives
- No worrying for you about toxins produced in the drying process
- Easy to break into bite-sized pieces
- Enticing training treats due to their scent and taste.
- Suitable for any breed of dog, in case your Lab is friends or roommates with a Chihuahua or other small dog.
- Delivers 76 percent protein in each handful
- Keeps up your dogs with small snacks
- Provides essential amino acids for growing dogs
- Portable and light to carry
- They must be used within a few weeks or go moldy.
- The treats tend to crumble when you shake the bag, so you lose some snacks when they fall to the bottom.
- Must be stored in a cool, dry place so they don’t rot on hot days
- Sold in small quantities, you quickly go through a bag with a big dog.
Tips That You Might Want To Know First:
The Danger Of Hip Dysplasia In Dogs
Labradors are big dogs, so they already have a lot of weight on their joints. If you let them eat any dry dog food they want, they will quickly put on more weight, which will strain those joints. That’s what’s important to give them the best puppy food for Labs that don’t have fillers.
Labrador Retrievers are prone to hip dysplasia, a disorder where the ball of bone no longer stays inside the hip joint socket. It is excruciating and limits your dog. That, in turn, will lead to more weight gain and stress on your beloved dog. Bodog’s way to avoid this tragedy is to ensure your Labrador puppy gets enough protein when it is young. While hip dysplasia can be genetic in dogs, you can prevent it in four different ways:
- You can help your dog stay healthy by feeding it the recommended amount of dry dog food listed on the bag’s side.
- It is critical for your dog and you to ensure that it gets plenty of frequent exercises. It usually means going for walks or playing fetch together often.
- It is a good idea to give your dog healthy snacks only occasionally. Good snacks for dogs include crunchy carrots or celery stalks.
You can improve your dog’s hip joints by giving it glucosamine supplements. The supplement is typically administered together with the dog’s food.
Another common issue is relying on food to train your Labrador puppy. If you give them a treat every time they come or sit, puppies will think they have to go or sit for a treat. More and more trainers are encouraging dog owners to use food as an incentive when training their Labs. This type of incentive usually works well because Labs are so food-driven.
If you want to train your Lab puppy to sit or give its paw, you can use food as a reward. Once the puppy has learned how to do this, you will no longer need to use food as a reward. The puppy will obey your commands because it knows what you expect, not because it wants food every time.
Labrador puppies can be stubborn, so it is essential to train them well. It is for their safety. There will be moments when you must immediately call your dog away from danger, such as a busy road or a porcupine with bristly quills. The last thing you want is an injured pet and a giant veterinarian bill.
Training your Lab puppy will help you form a strong bond with them. Please make sure you are patient and use positive reinforcement when they respond to your commands. Food should not be used as a regular bribe, but only as a bonus when they have done well.
Keep training your dog with fun games, like hide and seek or fetch. It will keep your dog engaged and learning as they age. Playing these games will also help keep you young – which is an excellent reason to get a dog friend!
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Food for Lab Puppies
What Should I Feed My 8-Week-Old Labrador Puppy?
Lab puppies that are eight weeks old should only eat dog food now. It is the time when most puppies are sent to their new homes. An eight-week-old Lab puppy eats around two cups of food daily, spread into four different meals.
Can We Give Milk to Labrador Puppy?
Many puppies are intolerant of cow’s milk, and drinking it leads to an upset tummy and diarrhea. So you should avoid giving your puppy any milk at all.
Can Labrador Eat Rice?
You may not realize it, but rice is sometimes found in commercial dog foods. Many pet owners give their white dog rice when he is sick.
Should Labs Eat Grain-Free?
Several dog genes have been modified over the years to allow them to digest grains and gluten. It means it is unnecessary to feed your dog grain-free pet food.
Can You Mix Wet and Dry Puppy Foods?
There are many types of dog diets. Some people give their dog a mix of dry and wet food so the dog can enjoy the advantages of both.
Do I Have to Feed My Large Breed Puppy Large Breed Puppy Food?
Overnutrition plays a significant role in excessive growth. That’s what’s important to feed your puppy food meant for large breeds and meet their nutritional needs.